Advance your microbial genomics research with HiFi sequencing
HiFi sequencing on the PacBio systems provides a deeper understanding of microbes and microbial communities by giving scientists the ability to:
- Resolve complete microbial genomes and detail their mobile elements
- Characterize epigenetic modifications and their impact on critical bacterial traits
- Investigate viral pathogenicity, evolution, and selection
- Understand microbial communities
MINING STREPTOMYCES FOR ANTIMICROBIAL GOLD
The genome of a novel Streptomyces anulatus strain isolated from a Chinese medicinal herb was sequenced with PacBio and fully assembled to reveal 52 putative biosynthetic gene clusters, including numerous with significant differences from known clusters. Growth under diverse conditions produced two novel compounds, with more potential yet to be unlocked.
Liu, et. al. (2022). Exploration of diverse secondary metabolites from Streptomyces sp. YINM00001, using genome mining and one strain many compounds approach. Front Microbiol.
- Generate closed chromosomes and plasmids from even the most repeat-dense and GC-rich genomes easily, affordably, and at high throughput
- Identify ever-evolving genes associated with toxicity, virulence, and antimicrobial resistance
- Precisely identify strains, serotypes, and plasmids to track pathogen outbreaks in human, plant, and animal species, through food systems, hospitals, and communities
- Comprehensively characterize microbes to facilitate scientific breakthroughs and discovery
Microbial and metagenomics enthusiasts rejoice: newly optimized bioinformatics pipelines are enabling scientists to detect even more species and assemble more single contig metagenomes using HiFi sequencing than ever before – with up to 9-fold increases in some cases.
Due to the continuous advances, improved results, and cost-effectiveness of PacBio HiFi long-read sequencing, it is an increasingly popular tool for metagenomic analysis of complex microbial communities.
After conducting a battery of technology comparisons, OpGen’s Ares Genetics has adopted PacBio HiFi microbial whole genome sequencing. The company believes the read length and high accuracy of HiFi data will enable it to develop a suite of cutting-edge AI solutions with potential to revolutionize the way we combat the spread of antimicrobial resistance.
ADVANCING CLINICAL RESEARCH WITH BETTER VIRAL GENOMES
Despite its importance as a clinical target, only 4 herpes simplex virus type 2 strains have complete genomes due to dense repeats and ~70% GC content. Here, scientists report the complete de novo assembly and annotation of an additional strain commonly used in research, HSV-2 strain G.
Chang, W. et. al. (2022). Complete genome sequence of herpes simplex virus 2 strain G. Viruses 14(3), 536; https://doi.org/10.3390/v14030536.
Full-length 16S and shotgun metagenome HiFi sequencing with certified PacBio service providers can deliver remarkably affordable microbiome and metagenomic data with explanatory power that is second to none.