TOOLS TO SUIT ANY APPLICATION
PacBio sequencing technology overview
PacBio offers three highly differentiated core technologies focused on accuracy, quality, and completeness:
Single-molecule sequencing provides a combination of read lengths up to 25 Kb, remarkable read accuracy of >99.9%, and 5-base sequencing (A, T, G, C + 5mC)
Sample extraction technology protects DNA from shearing to generate generate longer fragments with less damage across a broader range of sample types than any other technology
Sequencing by Binding (SBB)
Sequencing technology brings unmatched accuracy — even in regions of the genome prone to sequencing errors
“HiFi reads really allow us to call accurate structural variations and other types of variations that you can’t actually see with short-read sequencing.”— Jeremy Schmutz, Faculty Investigator, HudsonAlpha Institute of Biotechnology
With long reads and short reads, the possibilities are endless.
Our teams operate with one guiding principle — the status quo is simply not good enough when it comes to the future of genomics.
HiFi sequencing is recognized as the most accurate and complete sequencing technology:
- PacBio HiFi offers 21× fewer errors vs Oxford Nanopore, >6× fewer errors vs Illumina in PrecisionFDA benchmarking of total errors (SNV + indel + SV)
- Read lengths up to 25 kb allow you to span large structural variants and challenging repetitive regions, and to sequence full-length transcripts
- High accuracy provides over 99.99% accurate sequencing results
- Uniform coverage enables sequencing through regions that are inaccessible to other technologies
- Epigenetics can be explored through direct detection of base modifications during sequencing
Sequencing by binding
SBB demonstrates greater accuracy and consistency compared to current short-read sequencing-by-synthesis (SBS) technologies. An improved limit of detection, customer flexibility, and less computational burden have the potential to enable results in research and clinical markets.
- Reads achieve <0.1% “true human variation level” through 200 cycles
- Increased read accuracy results in 2x fewer false positive variant calls than SBS
OUR TECHNOLOGY IN ACTION
HiFi reads provide important benefits for key application areas including comprehensive variant detection, de novo assembly, epigenomics, metagenomics, and transcriptomics.
PacBio’s technology fuels our innovative products, including:
- Sequel IIe sequencing platform
- Sequel IIe sequencing consumables
- Nanobind extraction kits
PacBio’s SMRT Link software suite is designed for use with HiFi sequencing data. Analyze, visualize, and manage your data through an intuitive GUI or command-line interface with an extensive set of APIs.
The Sequel IIe platform has increased throughputs to bring HiFi sequencing within reach for labs around the world. For many projects, HiFi pricing is now comparable to conventional short-read NGS platforms.