PacBio sequencing technology overview
PacBio offers three highly differentiated core technologies focused on accuracy, quality, and completeness:
Single-molecule sequencing provides a combination of read lengths up to 25 Kb, remarkable read accuracy of 99.9%, and 5-base sequencing (A, T, G, C + 5mC)
SBB technology brings near-perfect accuracy — even in regions of the genome prone to sequencing errors
HiFi sequencing is recognized as a highly accurate and complete sequencing technology:
- PacBio HiFi offers 21× fewer errors vs Oxford Nanopore, >6× fewer errors vs Illumina in PrecisionFDA benchmarking of total errors (SNV + indel + SV)
- Read lengths up to 25 kb allow you to span large structural variants and challenging repetitive regions, and to sequence full-length transcripts
- High accuracy provides 99.99% accurate sequencing results
- Uniform coverage enables sequencing through regions that are inaccessible to other technologies
- Epigenetics can be explored through direct detection of base modifications during sequencing
As the main finding, the authors in a new preprint entitled Utility of long-read sequencing for All of Us state that “HiFi reads produced the most accurate results for both small and large variants” and conclude that “long-reads have widespread value for establishing the most complete and accurate variant calls for All of Us and potentially for many other projects.”
Nanobind HMW DNA extraction
NANOBIND sample extraction technology for high quality DNA that delivers longer fragments with less damage across a broader range of sample types than any other technology
- Cultured cells and bacteria
- Developmental sample types include insects, fungal, and worm
Sequencing by binding (SBB)
SBB demonstrates exceptional accuracy and consistency compared to current short-read sequencing-by-synthesis (SBS) technologies. An improved limit of detection, customer flexibility, and less computational burden have the potential to enable results in research.
OUR TECHNOLOGY IN ACTION
HiFi reads provide important benefits for key application areas including comprehensive variant detection, de novo assembly, epigenomics, metagenomics, and transcriptomics.
PacBio’s technology fuels our innovative products, including:
- Revio sequencing system
- Onso sequencing system
- Nanobind extraction kits
PacBio’s SMRT Link software suite is designed for use with HiFi sequencing data. Analyze, visualize, and manage your data through an intuitive GUI or command-line interface with an extensive set of APIs.