Plant + animal biology solutions
HiFi sequencing delivers data of incredible breadth and accuracy for overcoming some of the greatest challenges in biology. From accurately documenting the complex genetics of plants and animals to drive conservation efforts to unravelling the unique metabolic capabilities of every organism in detail, the possibilities are endless.
Plant + animal
Efficiently assemble, phase, and capture genomic diversity from single-nucleotide polymorphisms to complex structural variants.
Fungi + invertebrates
Overcome DNA input barriers to sequence small-bodied organisms with workflows requiring little DNA input. Identify host-symbiont adaptations using transcriptomes sequenced with the Iso-Seq method.
Marine + avian
Study evolution, obtain insights into developmental biology, and address the challenges of climate change faced by marine and terrestrial ecosystems with sequencing data of exceptional quality.
Protect species, populations, and ecosystems
Climate change, pollution, and habitat loss impact a concerning majority of species and ecosystems on our planet. To preserve and protect the biosphere against such threats, it is vital to document, catalog, and expand our understanding of the intricate biology of organisms across the full scale of complexity, from cells to entire ecosystems. Our sequencing tools offer powerful multiomic solutions that are applicable across disciplines, from entomology and botany to evo-devo, plant and animal genetics, marine biology, and more.
- Decipher complex structural variants and single nucleotide polymorphisms
across phased reference-quality genomes that are easy to assemble, allowing you to better capture genetic diversity.
- Explore phenotypic plasticity in populations and survey the epigenome
with HiFi 5mC methylation detection without any changes to library prep or sequencing workflows.
- Glimpse environmental responses and better understand physiological adaptations
like hibernation in bears with high-quality transcriptomes using the Iso-Seq method.
For the purpose of biological discovery, not all genome assemblies are created equal— Hotaling et al., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2021
Common questions about plant and animal genomes
Plant and animal biology in action
Plant + animal biology brochure
Bring your team up to speed on the advantages of HiFi sequencing for multiomics applications, from interpreting cryptic insect metabolisms to mapping the gargantuan 27 Gb genome of the coastal redwood (Sequoia sempervirens).
Dive deep into animal genomics beneath the waves
See how HiFi sequencing has been used to uncover unique adaptations in marine organisms and how this can be used to better inform conservation efforts and optimize aquaculture.
Whole genome sequencing best practices
Look at recommended workflows for assembling reference-quality genomes of everything from cattle and big cats to blackberries, de novo.
Take the headache out of sample preparation for rare and under-studied organisms with PacBio DNA extraction kits designed specifically for HiFi sequencing. Each kit and workflow is easy to use and has been validated on a wide variety of organisms, cells, and tissue types.
Obtain high-molecular-weight DNA while eliminating fragmented contaminants to take your long-read sequencing to the next level.
Plant and animal biology
- Build reference-quality, haplotype-resolved genomes and pangenomes to better understand individuals, populations, and species.
- Impute traits of interest to SNPs, structural variants, and complex genotypes.
- Capture genomic variants on a genome-wide scale for outbreds, inbreds, and populations.
Insect and fungal biology
Confidently explore some of the smallest and most difficult-to-sequence organisms with dedicated HiFi workflows requiring only 5 ng of DNA input†
- Assemble, phase, and capture genomic diversity from single-nucleotide polymorphisms to complex structural variants.
- Examine host-symbiont interactions and adaptations with isoform level annotations using the Iso-Seq method.
- Deconvolute insect microbiomes with HiFi shotgun metagenomics workflows that allow you to profile taxonomy and function at the same time.
Marine + avian biology
Use HiFi sequencing to explore the genomes and transcriptomes of a wide variety of marine species and ecosystems. With highly accurate genomic data, you can better understand how marine species adapt and evolve, and make informed decisions that can help protect life in our lakes, rivers, and oceans.
- Assemble high-quality genomes to better understand complex genotypes such as bioluminescence.
- Understand how fish adapt to harsh environments with full-length transcriptome sequencing with the Iso-Seq method.
- Identify, sequence, and multiplex genomic regions of interest without compromising amplicon size.
HOW FAR WE'VE COME BLOG SERIES
Explore this series to learn more about how insect, plant, and animal genomics have evolved over time. From notoriously difficult to assemble large-polyploid plant genomes to all creatures great and small, the purpose of biological discovery is now more important than ever.
Applications to fuel plant + animal biology research and discovery
Whole genome sequencing
Quickly and affordably create more complete, contiguous, and correct de novo assemblies of even the most complex genomes like the 27 Gb coastal redwood.
Structural variant calling
Acquire high-sensitivity variant calls with low false discovery rates to gain actionable insights across populations.
Uncover hidden microbiome functions and confidently capture microbial species richness and diversity with high quality metagenomic data available with HiFi metagenomic sequencing.