Resolve complex genomics underlying human disease
Single Molecule, Real-Time (SMRT) sequencing offers a flexible solution for targeting regions of interest, from several hundred base pairs to kilobase scale, and delivers the most comprehensive view of the associated genes. With highly accurate long reads (99.9% single-molecule read accuracy) it delivers the read length and accuracy needed to improve fine mapping and simplify the analysis of complex portions of the genome. SMRT sequencing gives you the ability to:
- Rapidly screen and identify all variants
- Discover haplotype-specific markers
- Resolve difficult-to-sequence regions, regardless of size
- Confirm insertion sites of transgenes and validate gene editing events
Sample and library prep
Fast and easy library preparation performed in a single tube.
- Start with high-quality, nucleic acids, as low as 250 ng for a 250 bp amplicon
- Create SMRTbell templates of amplicons of various sizes, from hundreds of bases to kilobase scale.
- Optimize throughput with flexible barcoding options
- Amplify targets with one round of PCR using target-specific primers with incorporated barcodes
- Add barcodes during PCR using a two round design with PacBio’s Barcoded M13 primer plate
- Add barcodes during SMRTbell library prep with PacBio’s barcoded SMRTbell adapter plate
- Multiplex up to 10,000 samples per SMRT Cell
Use the Sequel systems to accurately sequence targets in the human genome.
- Generate HiFi reads
- Q20 single-molecule accuracy reads
- Up to 4,000,000 reads per SMRT Cell 8M
- Sequence to desired coverage based on project needs
- Target 30-fold coverage for variant detection
- Increase coverage for minor variant detection (~6,000-fold coverage for 1% sensitivity)
Analysis solutions for every user in the lab with the PacBio analytical portfolio.
- Fully characterize genetic complexity — structural variation, rare SNPs, indels, CNV, microsatellites, haplotypes, and phasing
- Utilize a variety of analysis tools within SMRT Link
- Generate HiFi reads (>Q20) using circular consensus sequencing (CCS) mode
- Easily demultiplex barcodes within SMRT Link
- Detect, quantitate, and phase single nucleotide polymorphisms within coding regions using minor variants analysis
- Output data in standard file formats (BAM and FASTA/Q) for seamless integration with downstream analysis tools
- Perform reference-free analysis of amplicons with pb amplicon analysis (pbaa)
- HiFi reads are compatible with standard analysis tools for variant calling such as GATK and Deep Variant.
SMRT Sequencing uncovers novel causative mutations and resolves duplicated genes
PacBio long-read sequencing enabled scientists to detect a single causative mutation for autosomal dominate tubulointerstitial kidney disease (ADTKD) in MUC1 gene residing in a GC-rich variable number tandem repeat region (VNTR) that was previously intractable. Explore this research further:
Wenzel, A. et al., 2018. Single molecule real time sequencing in ADTKD-MUC1 allows complete assembly of the VNTR and exact positioning of causative mutations. Scientific Reports, 8(1), p.4170.