High-quality, long reads produce exceptional results
As the field of genomics evolves, there is a growing awareness in the scientific community of the importance of long-read sequencing data.
Long-read sequencing improves mappability for resequencing and simplifies de novo assembly. The Sequel Systems allows you to directly sequence DNA and achieve long sequencing reads with uniform coverage. Our Single Molecule, Real-Time (SMRT) Sequencing technology consistently produces some of the longest average read lengths available in the industry.
SMRT Sequencing gives you the ability to:
- Generate high-quality genomes with de novo assembly
- Catalog full-length isoforms
- Unambiguously align sequences
- Observe fully phased alleles
- Span repetitive elements and complex regions
- Resolve structural variants
PacBio long-read sequencing provides exceptional read lengths without compromising throughput or accuracy
Half the data in reads: >50 kb
Data per SMRT Cell: Up to 160 Gb
Data from a 35 kb size-selected E. coli library using the SMRTbell Express Template Prep Kit 2.0 on a Sequel II System (1.0 Chemistry, Sequel II System Software v7.0, 15-hour movie)*.
Half the data in reads: >160 kb
Data per SMRT Cell: Up to 320 Gb
Data shown above from a 11 kb size-selected human library using the SMRTbell Template Prep Kit 1.0 on a Sequel II System (1.0 Chemistry, Sequel II System Software v7.0, 30-hour movie)*.
*Read lengths, reads/data per SMRT Cell and other sequencing performance results vary based on sample quality/type and insert size.
Contact us for more information about incorporating SMRT Sequencing into your research efforts.
- Wenger, Aaron M et al. (2019) Highly-accurate long-read sequencing improves variant detection and assembly of a human genome bioRxiv
- Kosicki, Michael et al. (2018) Repair of double-strand breaks induced by CRISPR-Cas9 leads to large deletions and complex rearrangements. Nature biotechnology
- Sedlazeck, Fritz J et al. (2018) Accurate detection of complex structural variations using single-molecule sequencing. Nature methods
- Shields, Emily J et al. (2018) High-quality genome assemblies reveal long non-coding RNAs expressed in ant brains. Cell reports
- Kronenberg, Zev N et al. (2018) High-resolution comparative analysis of great ape genomes. Science
- Sedlazeck, Fritz J et al. (2018) Piercing the dark matter: bioinformatics of long-range sequencing and mapping. Nature reviews. Genetics
- Ardui, Simon et al. (2018) Single molecule real-time (SMRT) sequencing comes of age: applications and utilities for medical diagnostics. Nucleic acids research
- Hobbs, Matthew et al. (2017) Long-read genome sequence assembly provides insight into ongoing retroviral invasion of the koala germline. Scientific reports
- Semler, Matthew R et al. (2017) Novel full-length major histocompatibility complex class I allele discovery and haplotype definition in pig-tailed macaques. Immunogenetics
- Bao, Jiandong et al. (2017) PacBio sequencing reveals transposable element as a key contributor to genomic plasticity and virulence variation in Magnaporthe oryzae. Molecular plant
- Borràs, Daniel M et al. (2017) Detecting PKD1 variants in polycystic kidney disease patients by single-molecule long-read sequencing. Human mutation
- Pasini, Erica M et al. (2017) An improved Plasmodium cynomolgi genome assembly reveals an unexpected methyltransferase gene expansion. Wellcome open research
- Pootakham, Wirulda et al. (2017) High resolution profiling of coral-associated bacterial communities using full-length 16S rRNA sequence data from PacBio SMRT sequencing system. Scientific reports
- Jiao, Yinping et al. (2017) Improved maize reference genome with single-molecule technologies. Nature
- Minio, Andrea et al. (2017) How Single Molecule Real-Time Sequencing and haplotype phasing have enabled reference-grade diploid genome assembly of wine grapes. Frontiers in plant science
- Huang, Da Wei et al. (2016) Towards better precision medicine: PacBio single-molecule long reads resolve the interpretation of HIV drug resistant mutation profiles at explicit quasispecies (haplotype) level. Journal of data mning in genomics & proteomics
- Berlin, Konstantin et al. (2015) Assembling large genomes with single-molecule sequencing and locality-sensitive hashing. Nature biotechnology
- Chaisson, Mark J P et al. (2015) Resolving the complexity of the human genome using single-molecule sequencing. Nature
- Treutlein, Barbara et al. (2014) Cartography of neurexin alternative splicing mapped by single-molecule long-read mRNA sequencing. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America
- Chin, Chen-Shan et al. (2013) Nonhybrid, finished microbial genome assemblies from long-read SMRT sequencing data. Nature methods
- Poster: Kingan, Sarah et al. (2018) FALCON-Phase integrates PacBio and HiC data for de novo assembly, scaffolding and phasing of a diploid Puerto Rican genome (HG00733)
- Poster: Korlach, Jonas et al. (2018) High-quality de novo genome assembly and intra-individual mitochondrial instability in the critically endangered kakapo
- Poster: Chakraborty, Shreyasee et al. (2018) Mitochondrial DNA sequencing using PacBio SMRT technology
- Poster: Concepion, C., et al. (2018) De novo assembly and preliminary annotation of the Schizocardium californicum genome
- Poster: Tseng, E., et al. (2018) Haplotyping of full-length transcript reads from long-read sequencing can reveal allelic imbalances in isoform expression
- Poster: McLaughlin, I., et al. (2017) Targeted sequencing using a long-read sequencing technology
- Poster: Kingan, S. et al. (2017) Structural variant detection with low-coverage PacBio sequencing
- Poster: Seetin, Matthew G et al. (2016) Long-read assembly of the Aedes aegypti Aag2 cell line genome resolves ancient endogenous viral elements
- Poster: Hall, Richard J. et al. (2015) Assembly of complete KIR haplotypes from a diploid individual by the direct sequencing of full-length fosmids.
- Presentation: Schatz, Michael et al. (2015) The resurgence of reference quality genome sequence.
- Poster: Clark, Tyson A et al. (2015) Single Molecule, Real-Time sequencing of full-length cDNA transcripts uncovers novel alternatively spliced isoforms.
- Ameur, A. and Graves-Lindsay, T. and Peluso, P. (2018) Webinar: Assembling high-quality human reference genomes for global populations
- Williams, John (2018) PAG Conference: Using cattle subspecies crosses to explore chromosome of origin expression through Iso-seq analysis
- Ashby, Meredith (2017) Webinar: Chasing alternative splicing in cancer: Simplified full-length isoform sequencing
- Turner, Stephen (2017) Webinar: An introduction to PacBio’s long-read sequencing & how it has been used to make important scientific discoveries
- Sedlazeck, Fritz (2017) AGBT Virtual Poster: Quantifying the impact of improved genome assemblies on functional genomics
- Jarvis, Erich (2017) PAG PacBio Workshop: Comparative analyses of next generation technologies for generating chromosome-level reference genome assemblies
- Ashley, Euan (2016) ASHG PacBio Workshop: Towards precision medicine
- Ware, Doreen (2016) PAG PacBio Workshop: A-maize-ing time for plant science – SMRT Sequencing of the maize genome and transcriptome
- Ryder, Oliver (2016) PAG PacBio Workshop: Conservation genomics of a critically endangered Hawaiian bird: A high quality genome assembly of the ‘alala will assist in population management and reintroduction
- Ashley, Euan (2016) AGBT Roche and PacBio Workshop: Towards precision medicine
- Archibald, Alan L (2016) PAG PacBio Workshop: New long-read pig assemblies could spur improved breeding programs
- SMRT Sequencing Brochure: Delivering highly accurate long reads to drive discovery in life science (2019)
- Application Brief: Targeted sequencing for amplicons – Best Practices (2018)
- Infographic: Gold-standard reference genomes accelerate science (2018)
- De Novo Assembly Brochure: Assembly options for your SMRT Sequencing data (2018)
- Case Study: Pioneering a pan-genome reference collection (2018)
- Whitepaper: Structural variation in the human genome (2017)
- Case Study: SMRT sequencing brings clarity to HIV vaccine and transplant research at the Wisconsin national primate research center (2017)
- Case Study: Improving precision medicine studies in Asia using ethnicity-specific human reference genomes and PacBio long-read sequencing (2017)
- Case Study: Breeding a better Cabernet – SMRT Sequencing provides detailed view of grape genome (2016)
- Case Study: Scientists deconstruct cancer complexity through genome and transcriptome analysis (2016)