Pacific Biosciences of California, Inc.
California Resident Privacy Notice
Last Reviewed and Updated: December, 2022
Personal Information Collection, Disclosure, and Sale
For the purposes of this Notice, “Personal Information” means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household, or as otherwise defined by the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (California Civil Code §§ 1798.100 to 1798.199) and its implementing regulations, as amended or superseded from time to time (“CCPA”).
Personal Information does not include information that is:
- Lawfully made available from government records.
- Deidentified or aggregated.
- Otherwise excluded from the scope of the CCPA.
The chart below provides the categories of Personal Information (as defined by the CCPA) we have collected, disclosed for a business purpose, sold, or used for business or commercial purposes in the preceding twelve months since this Notice was last updated, as well as the categories of third parties with whom we shared Personal Information. The examples of Personal Information provided for each category reflect each category’s statutory definition and may not reflect all of the specific types of Personal Information associated with each category.
|Category||We Collect||We Disclose||We Sell|
Examples: Name, postal address, online identifier, internet protocol address, email address, account name.
|B. Categories of Personal Information in Cal. Civ. Code Section 1798.80(e)
Examples: Name, signature, address, telephone number.
|C. Characteristics of Protected Classifications under California or Federal Law
Examples: Race or color, ancestry or national origin, religion or creed, age (over 40), mental or physical disability, sex (including gender and pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military and veteran status.
|D. Commercial Information
Examples: Records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
|E. Biometric Information
Examples: Physiological, biological, or behavioral characteristics, including DNA, that can be used, singly or in combination with each other or with other identifying data, to establish individual identity, such as imagery of the iris, retina, fingerprint, face, hand, palm, vein patterns, and voice recordings, from which an identifier template, such as a faceprint, a minutiae template, or a voiceprint, can be extracted, and keystroke patterns or rhythms, gait patterns or rhythms, and sleep, health, or exercise data that contain identifying information.
|F. Internet or Other Electronic Network Activity Information
Examples: Browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer’s interaction with an internet website, application or advertisement.
|G. Geolocation Data
Example: Precise physical location.
|H. Sensory Information
Examples: Audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information.
|I. Professional or Employment-Related Information
Examples: Job application or resume information, past and current job history, and job performance information.
|J. Non-Public Education Information (as defined in 20 U.S.C. 1232g; 34 C.F.R. Part 99)
Examples: Records that are directly related to a student maintained by an educational agency or institution or by a party acting for the agency or institution.
|K. Inferences Drawn from Personal Information
Examples: Consumer profiles reflecting a consumer’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes.
Use of Personal Information
We collect, use, and disclose your Personal Information in accordance with the specific business and commercial purposes below:
- Providing Services: Providing our services.
- Communicating: Communicating with you, providing you with updates and other information relating to our services and products, providing information that you request, responding to comments and questions, and otherwise providing customer support.
- Marketing: Marketing purposes, such as developing and providing promotional and advertising materials that may be useful, relevant, valuable or otherwise of interest to you.
- Personalization: Personalizing your experience on our services, such as presenting tailored content.
- Sending Messages: Sending you text messages or push notifications.
- Facilitating Payments: Facilitating transactions and payments.
- Deidentification and Aggregation: Deidentifying and aggregating information collected through our services and using it for lawful purposes.
- Job Applications: Processing your job application.
- Safety Issues: Responding to trust and safety issues that may arise.
- Compliance: For compliance purposes, including enforcing our legal rights, or as may be required by applicable laws and regulations or requested by any judicial process or governmental agency.
- Auditing Interactions: Auditing related to your interaction with our services and concurrent transactions, including, but not limited to, counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, and auditing compliance with other standards.
- Fraud and Incident Prevention: Detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity.
- Debugging: Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Transient Use: Short-term, transient use.
- Contracting Vendors: Contracting with vendors and service providers to perform services on our behalf or on their behalf, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying customer information, processing payments, providing financing, providing advertising or marketing services, providing analytics services, or providing similar services on behalf of the business or service provider.
- Research: Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration.
- Improving Our Services: Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of our services, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance our services.
- Enabling Transactions: Otherwise enabling or effecting, directly or indirectly, a commercial transaction.
- Notified Purpose: For other purposes for which we provide specific notice at the time the information is collected.
Collection of Personal Information
In the preceding twelve months since this Notice was last updated, we have collected Personal Information from the following categories of sources:
- You/Your Devices: You or your devices directly.
- Users: Other users of our services.
- Advertising Networks.
- ISPs: Internet service providers.
- Analytics Providers.
- Government: Government entities.
- OS/Platform Provider: Operating systems and platforms.
- Social Networks.
- Resellers: Consumer data brokers.
- Partners: Business partners.
- Public: Publicly accessible sources.
Disclosure of Personal Information
In the preceding twelve months since this Notice was last updated, we disclosed Personal Information to the following categories of third parties:
- Advertising Providers: Advertising technology companies, such as advertising networks. Personal Information we share: None
- ISPs: Internet service providers. Personal Information we share: None
- Analytics Providers. Personal Information we share: Identifiers
- Government: Government entities. Personal Information we share: None
- OS/Platform Providers: Operating systems and platforms. Personal Information we share: Identifiers
- Social Networks. Personal Information we share: Identifiers
- Resellers: Consumer data brokers. Personal Information we share: None
- Affiliates. Personal Information we share: Identifiers
- Vendors: Vendors and service providers. Personal Information we share: Identifiers
- Integrated Third Parties: Third parties integrated into our services. Personal Information we share: Identifier
- Third Parties as Legally Required: Third parties as required by law and similar disclosures. Personal Information we share: None
- Third Parties in Merger/Acquisition: Third parties in connection with a merger, sale, or asset transfer. Personal Information we share: None.
- Third Parties with Consent: Other third parties for whom we have obtained your permission to disclose your Personal Information. Personal Information we share: Identifiers
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, you may exercise the following rights.
Right to Know and Access. You may submit a verifiable request for information regarding the: (1) categories of Personal Information collected, sold, or disclosed by us; (2) purposes for which categories of Personal Information are collected or sold by us; (3) categories of sources from which we collect Personal Information; (4) categories of third parties with whom we disclosed or sold Personal Information; and (5) specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected about you during the past twelve months. Click here to access your Personal Information.
Right to Delete. Subject to certain exceptions, you may submit a verifiable request that we delete Personal Information about you that we have collected from you. Click here to request deletion of your Personal Information.
Verification. Requests for access to or deletion of Personal Information are subject to our ability to reasonably verify your identity in light of the information requested and pursuant to relevant CCPA requirements, limitations, and regulations. To verify your access or deletion request, please follow the instructions provided in our response to your request.
Right to Opt Out. In some circumstances, you may opt out of the sale of your Personal Information. The CCPA defines “sale” very broadly to cover common industry practices, including providing you with a customized experience on our websites and apps. We do not sell your Personal Information.
Right to Equal Service and Price. You have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment for the exercise of your CCPA privacy rights, subject to certain limitations.
Shine the Light. We do not rent, sell, or share Personal Information with nonaffiliated companies for their direct marketing uses as contemplated by California’s “Shine the Light” law (Civil Code § 1798.83), unless we have your permission.
Submit Requests. To exercise your rights under the CCPA, send an email via our Contact Information section, or visit our website.
Authorizing an Agent. If you are acting as an authorized agent to make a request to know, delete, or opt out on behalf of a California resident, email us and attach a written authorization signed by the resident.
Do Not Track
There is no accepted standard on how to respond to Do Not Track signals, and we do not respond to such signals.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about this Notice or our processing activities please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at:
Pacific Biosciences of California, Inc.
Attention: Privacy @ Legal Department
1305 O’Brien Drive
Menlo Park, CA 94025