The challenge of isoform reconstruction
In eukaryotic organisms, the majority of genes are alternatively spliced to produce multiple transcript isoforms, dramatically increasing the protein-coding potential of a genome1. Alternatively spliced isoforms from the same gene can have significantly different, even antagonistic, effects2. To study gene expression, researchers have looked at fragments of an organism’s genes utilizing next-generation sequencing methods, commonly referred to as RNA sequencing (RNA-seq). However, short-read RNA-seq cannot span full-length transcripts, making it difficult to accurately characterize the diverse landscape of isoforms3.
Produce full-length transcripts without assembly
The isoform sequencing (Iso-Seq) application generates full-length cDNA sequences — from the 5’ end of transcripts to the poly-A tail — eliminating the need for transcriptome reconstruction using isoform-inference algorithms. The Iso-Seq method generates accurate information about alternatively spliced exons and transcriptional start sites. It also delivers information about poly-adenylation sites for transcripts up to 10 kb in length across the full complement of isoforms within targeted genes or the entire transcriptome.
PacBio delivers confident characterization of isoform diversity with the PacBio Systems
- Profile the full complexity of the human transcriptome and discover novel genes, isoforms, and gene fusion events
- Survey transcript diversity in plants and animals to improve genome annotation and gene discovery
- Improve quantitation accuracy of short-read RNA-seq data with sample-specific gene isoform models
- Sequence full-length bacterial operons from transcriptomes and metatranscriptomes
To learn more about how to profile the complexity of the transcriptome with the Iso-Seq application, contact us.
- Pan, Q., et al., (2008) Deep surveying of alternative splicing complexity in the human transcriptome by high-throughput sequencing. Nature Genetics. 40, 1413-1415.
- Boise, LH., et al., (1993) Bcl-x, a bcl-2-related gene that functions as a dominant regulator of apoptotic cell death. Cell. 74(4), 597-608.
- Steijger, T., et al. (2013) Assessment of transcript reconstruction methods for RNA-seq. Nature Methods. 10(12), 1177-1184.
- Gao, Shan et al. (2016) PacBio full-length transcriptome profiling of insect mitochondrial gene expression. RNA Biology
- Criscione, Steven W et al. (2016) Genome-wide characterization of human L1 antisense promoter-driven transcripts. BMC Genomics
- Van't Hof, Arjen E et al. (2016) The industrial melanism mutation in British peppered moths is a transposable element. Nature
- Mangul, Serghei et al. (2016) HapIso: an accurate method for the haplotype-specific isoforms reconstruction from long single-molecule reads
- Gonzalez-Garay, Manuel L et al. (2016) Introduction to Isoform Sequencing using Pacific Biosciences technology (Iso-Seq)
- Kuang, Zheng et al. (2016) The dynamic landscape of fission yeast meiosis alternative-splice isoforms bioRxiv
- Singh, Neetu et al. (2016) IsoSeq analysis and functional annotation of the infratentorial ependymoma tumor tissue on PacBio RSII platform. Meta gene
- Chi, Kelly Rae et al. (2016) Finding function in mystery transcripts. Nature
- Tevz, Gregor et al. (2016) Identification of a novel fusion transcript between human relaxin-1 (RLN1) and human relaxin-2 (RLN2) in prostate cancer. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology
- Dong, Lingli et al. (2015) Single-molecule real-time transcript sequencing facilitates common wheat genome annotation and grain transcriptome research. BMC Genomics
- Westbrook, Catherine J et al. (2015) No assembly required: Full-length MHC class I allele discovery by PacBio circular consensus sequencing. Human Immunology
- Lu, Tingting et al. (2015) Transcriptome-wide investigation of circular RNAs in rice. RNA
- Weirather, Jason L et al. (2015) Characterization of fusion genes and the significantly expressed fusion isoforms in breast cancer by hybrid sequencing. Nucleic Acids Research
- Minoche, André E et al. (2015) Exploiting single-molecule transcript sequencing for eukaryotic gene prediction. Genome Biology
- Gao, Qingsong et al. (2015) Predominant contribution of cis-regulatory divergence in the evolution of mouse alternative splicing. Molecular Systems Biology
- Gordon, Sean P et al. (2015) Widespread polycistronic transcripts in fungi revealed by single-molecule mRNA sequencing. PLoS One
- Macaulay, Iain C et al. (2015) G&T-seq: parallel sequencing of single-cell genomes and transcriptomes. Nature Methods
- Xu, Zhichao et al. (2015) Full-length transcriptome sequences and splice variants obtained by a combination of sequencing platforms applied to different root tissues of Salvia miltiorrhiza and tanshinone biosynthesis. The Plant Journal
- Tombácz, Dóra et al. (2015) Characterization of novel transcripts in pseudorabies virus. Viruses
- Dasari, Surendra et al. (2015) Proteomic detection of immunoglobulin light chain variable region peptides from amyloidosis patient biopsies. Journal of Proteome Research
- You, Xintian et al. (2015) Neural circular RNAs are derived from synaptic genes and regulated by development and plasticity. Nature Neuroscience
- Cavelier, Lucia et al. (2015) Clonal distribution of BCR-ABL1 mutations and splice isoforms by single-molecule long-read RNA sequencing. BMC Cancer
- Vollmers, Christopher et al. (2015) Novel exons and splice variants in the human antibody heavy chain identified by single cell and single molecule sequencing. PLoS One
- Pretto, Dalyir I et al. (2015) Differential increases of specific FMR1 mRNA isoforms in premutation carriers. Journal of Medical Genetics
- Poster: Tseng, Elizabeth et al. (2016) Reconstruction of the spinach coding genome using full-length transcriptome without a reference genome
- Poster: Baybayan, Primo et al. (2016) Application specific barcoding strategies for SMRT Sequencing
- Poster: Clark, Tyson et al. (2016) Full-length cDNA sequencing for genome annotation and analysis of alternative splicing
- Presentation: Nattestad, Maria et al. (2015) Comprehensive genome and transcriptome structural analysis of a breast cancer cell line using PacBio long read sequencing
- Poster: Clark, T. et al. (2015) Full-length cDNA sequencing of alternatively spliced isoforms provides insight into human cancer
- Poster: Boitano, Matthew et al. (2015) Full-length cDNA sequencing of prokaryotic transcriptome and metatranscriptome samples.
- Poster: Tseng, Elizabeth et al. (2015) Full-length isoform sequencing of the human MCF-7 cell line using PacBio long reads.
- Poster: Baybayan, Primo et al. (2015) SMRT Sequencing of DNA and RNA samples extracted from formalin-fixed and paraffin embedded tissues using adaptive focused acoustics by Covaris.
- Poster: Clark, Tyson A. et al. (2015) Full-length cDNA sequencing of alternatively spliced isoforms provides insight into human diseases.
- Poster: Clark, Tyson A et al. (2015) Single Molecule, Real-Time sequencing of full-length cDNA transcripts uncovers novel alternatively spliced isoforms.
- Poster: Copetti, Dario et al. (2015) Rapid full-length Iso-Seq cDNA sequencing of rice mRNA to facilitate annotation and identify splice-site variation.
- Timp, Winston (2016) PAG Conference: An extreme metabolism: Iso-Seq analysis of the ruby-throated hummingbird transcriptome
- Pandya, Chetanya (2016) AGBT Virtual Poster: Comparative analysis of somatic fusion gene detection using short read and long read sequencing
- Pandya, Chetanya (2016) Customer Experience: SMRT Sequencing for cancer research is the ‘Way to go’
- Ameur, Adam (2016) AGBT Roche and PacBio Workshop: Clinical SMRT Sequencing – from single genese to complete genomes
- Korlach, Jonas (2016) AGBT Conference: Addressing complex disease and hidden heritability with the Sequel System
- Ashley, Euan (2016) AGBT Roche and PacBio Workshop: Towards precision medicine
- Clark, Tyson (2015) Seminar: Iso-seq method – sample prep and experimental design for full-length cDNA sequencing
- Smith, Tim (2015) Customer Experience: Long-read assemblies correct problems, advance research in livestock
- Racacho, Lemuel (2015) Customer Experience: For long, noncoding RNAs, SMRT Sequencing offers better view
- Tseng, Elizabeth (2015) Seminar: Iso-seq analysis & beyond – advanced bioinformatics for transcriptome sequencing using long reads
- Nattestad, Maria (2015) ASHG Conference: Comprehensive genome and transcriptome structural analysis of a breast cancer cell line using PacBio long read sequencing
- Gyllensten, Ulf (2015) AGBT Virtual Poster: Clinical sequencing using Pacific Biosciences RS II for HLA typing and monitoring of drug resistance in chronic myeloid leukemia (CML)
- PacBio Service Providers (2016)
- Certified Service Provider Profile: Institute for Genome Sciences expands long-read sequencing services with new Sequel System (2016)
- Case Study: Scientists deconstruct cancer complexity through genome and transcriptome analysis (2016)
- Cancer Brochure: Drive discovery with most complete view of cancer complexity (2016)
- Case Study: First comprehensive view of maize genome reveals regulatory and structural mechanisms (2016)
- Case Study: With SMRT Sequencing for genomes, transcriptomes, and epigenomes, scientists are overcoming barriers in plant and animal research (2016)
- Certified Service Provider Profile: AGI builds on BAC expertise and SMRT Sequencing for rice and other crop genomes (2016)
- Isoform Sequencing Application Brochure: Read full-length transcripts – no assembly required (2015)
- Sequel System Brochure: Introducing the scalable platform for SMRT Sequencing (2015)
- Plant and Animal Sciences Brochure: A comprehensive view of genetic diversity (2015)
- Human Biomedical Research Brochure: The most comprehensive view of the human genome (2015)
- Case Study: Scientists create gold standard plant and animal genomes with SMRT Sequencing. (2015)
- Case Study: New view of chicken transcriptome offers clues to heart development. (2015)
- Featured Interview: Revolutionize Translational Research – Uppsalas Ulf Gyllensten on how long reads give access to new areas of the genome. (2015)